I had seen this craft idea on Pinterest sometime back, when I was looking for some inspiration for activities with craft sticks.
Last week, my niece and nephew were visiting us and I had to think of an idea to keep two 10 year-olds and a 4 year-old entertained. Luckily, my older son, A, suggested doing a Christmas themed craft and I quickly got all the materials out to start making these super easy but equally fun Christmas tree ornaments.
The most important materials needed here are the craft sticks as they form the triangle or star shaped base for the ornaments. The decoration options are endless – from pom-poms to pipe cleaners, glitter glue pens, sequined stickers, feathers, buttons, etc. We used the materials that were available to us in our craft box.
Materials needed –
Brown foam paper
Decoration items used here – Pom-Poms, metallic pipe cleaners, glitter glue pens, sequined stickers
Procedure for the Christmas trees –
1. Take 3 craft sticks in the same color and using craft glue, stick one edge of a stick on top of the other to form a triangle.
2. Cut out a small rectangular piece of brown foam paper and stick it in the middle of one of the sticks, to look like the bark or the tree
3. Cut out a small piece of ribbon and fold it and stick it on the top edge of the triangle. This will be used to hang the ornaments on the tree.
4. Using craft glue and various decorating materials, decorate your craft stick christmas trees! Metallic pipe cleaners can go across the traingle to resemble lights or streamers, pom poms and sequins can go on the edges to resemble baubles and stars, glitter glue can resemble streamers, as well.
Procedure for the stars –
1. Take 5 craft sticks in any two colors and stick the edges to create star shape (as shown in the pictures)
2. Cut out a small piece of ribbon and fold it and stick it on the top edge of the triangle. This will be used to hang the ornaments on the tree.
3. Using glitter glue, decorate the stars.
The Christmas tree ornaments are ready! Your kids will be really excited to be hanging their hand-made ornaments on your tree.