Fridays in our house are also know as “Chocolate chip pancake days”. This ritual of having chocolate chip pancakes EVERY SINGLE friday for breakfast has been in place since my elder son turned 3. When everyone else at home is having a lie-in on Friday mornings, our mom-son duo is on a mission to make healthy pancakes for breakfast.
Healthy pancakes? Yes!! They are made entirely from wholewheat flour and have no or very less sugar in them. I also manage to sneak in some chia seeds and a banana to make them more wholesome.
I am a vegetarian (no eggs or meat, but good with dairy) so I don’t like to cook with eggs. I use the flaxseed substitution method, where 1 egg is equal to 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder mixed with 3 tablespoons water. I use fresh cow’s milk for my recipe but you can substitute with an equal quantity of soy or almond milk, if you wish to make vegan pancakes.
In my opinion, the key to having perfect fluffy pancakes, is to let the batter rest for 30 mins or so.
For toppings, as with any pancakes, the choices are endless…my older son takes his with Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips, younger one gets his with organic honey on top, the husband prefers maple syrup, strawberries and bananas, while I love mine loaded with hazelnut spread.
I prefer not making the pancakes very sweet in themselves, as most of the toppings are sweet. You can always choose to add more sugar or ignore it all together.
My older son is really my partner-in-crime in the kitchen. He is my little chefling…he loves to watch me cook, tries to help me in any way he can (usually ends up making more of a mess!) and loves up come up with brilliant recipe variations all by himself! Adding the cocoa powder to the recipe was his idea. I cherish these moments with him and the memories we make.
This recipe makes 8-10 pancakes.
1 1/2cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 banana mashed
1 tablespoon flaxseed powder
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 cup milk
1. Mix all the dry ingredients – wholewheat flour, salt, baking powder, chia seeds, cocoa powder and brown sugar – in a bowl.
2. Mash the banana well with a fork.
3. In a bowl, mix the flaxseed powder with water to make a paste. Add the banana, coconut oil and milk to this paste and whisk well.
4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry mix. Let the batter rest for 15-30 minutes
5. Taking a few drops of olive or coconut oil on a non-stick pan, pour the batter on the pan. Low to medium flame.
6. Once a few bubbles are formed on the top, flip the pancake over. Cook both sides till golden brown.
7. Top it up with your favorite toppings and serve.
Hope you enjoy my version of these healthy pancakes!