Come February, we just had to do a Valentine-themed craft project.
This piece is great to add a Valentine feel to any room, to hang on a wall or at windows.
These hearts involve mainly, cutting and sticking, of which A did majority of the sticking this time, as he is getting more confident with using craft glue (I put the glue on and he stuck the materials on).
We used different color combinations of pom poms to decorate the hearts. The decorative options are endless – glitter glue pens, pipe cleaners, feathers, small artificial or paper flowers, sequins or buttons, etc.
1. Rainbow pattern foam paper (I got these from Lulu Hypermarket) – 2 sheets. You can use any plain colored foam paper too (like yellow or pink, so the red glitter will stand out on it)
2. Red glitter foam paper (from any craft store) – 2 sheets
3. Pom poms in different colors and sizes
5. Craft glue
6. Small ribbon in any color
1. Folding the red glitter foam paper in half, draw half a heart on one side (starting and ending at the folded edge), and cut both the sides along it. When you open the cut out, it should open to a heart. The heart should use around 3/4ths of the paper.
2. Follow the same with the rainbow foam paper, or any other colored foam paper. Make sure this heart is bigger than the glitter heart.
3. Cut out another heart on the red glitter paper. You can choose to keep it the same size of slightly bigger than the one in step 1.
4. Cut out another heart from the rainbow or plain colored foam paper, keeping it same size or slightly bigger than the one in step 2.
5. Stick the red glitter hearts on to the corresponding rainbow hearts.
6. Stick pom poms on both the red glitter hearts in a heart shape, leaving a one inch border on all sides.
7. Punch a hole on the top and bottom of the smaller heart and on the top of the bigger heart.
8. Insert a small ribbon through the holes at the bottom of the smaller heart and the top of the bigger heart and tie a knot, linkig the two. Insert another ribbon through the top of the smaller heart and tie a knot.
Your Valentine’s day heart decorative piece is ready!
Tip: We did not throw away the extra foam papers and used the remains to cut out lots of different shapes and different sized hearts from them, to use on another project.