We love to cook – my elder son and I. Even if it involves him in something small like stirring batter or mixing spices, he loves to sit with me on the kitchen counter and watch me experiment. And if it involves cooking something which is healthy, as well, then it’s a bonus for me as a mom, because he loves to try what he has helped to cook.
Since crisps and chips are a big No for the kids in our house, once in a while I do make Pita chips at home, to let them indulge in something crunchy and snacky. These are made from Lebanese Brown Bread that is available in all supermarkets in Dubai, sprinkled with some za’atar and paprika powders. I generally buy small quantities of fresh za’atar and paprika powders from any major supermaket. My son helped me spread the olive oil on the bread, while i sprinkled the spices and did the cooking.
These pita chips are air-fried in our Philips Air-fryer HD9621. This has been one of my best buys in the last couple of years, as all our frying and grilling needs are done in this one unit, barely using any oil. It lets me choose the required temperature and time, according to the recipe. You can bake these chips in a convection oven too (taking care to keep the top and bottom heat on). You can choose to deep fry them, as well.
1 pkt. medium sized Lebanese Brown Bread (normally 4 pieces of bread)
4 tbsp. Olive Oil
4 tsp. Za’atar powder
2 tsp. Paprika powder
- Pre-heat the air-fryer or oven at 180°C for 5 mins.
- Spread 1 tbsp. of olive oil evenly on each bread.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. of za’atar powder evenly on each bread. Top with half tsp. of paprika powder on each.
- Cut each bread into pieces of desired size and shapes Take care not to cut very small pieces, as the two layers of the bread will then separate while cooking.
- Put small batches of the bread in the air-fryer or oven and cook for 2-3 minutes, till golden brown. Take them out and spread on a cooling rack.
- Repeat process with the entire batch of chips. Leave all to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer in an airtight container.
- Serve with a dip of Yoghurt mixed with cream cheese spread, topped with some salt and mixed herbs like oregano, basil and thyme. Other dip options include hummus, tzatziki or tahina.
Please do leave me a comment if you have any suggestions for the above recipe, or if you liked it.
Follow me on Instagram & Facebook for regular updates on what’s cooking.